The Knights of Columbus, the world's largest Catholic family fraternal organization. There are more than 1.8 million members of the Knights of Columbus around the world, and over 25,000 of them live in Virginia, one of the most active jurisdictions in the Order. We're very enthusiastic about our organization, and here are just a few of the many reasons that we belong:
- Being a Knight helps us be better Catholics. Our modern secular society is often not very religion-friendly. The pressure to give your faith short shrift can be very strong. As Knights, we rely on one another to help keep our faith strong, and to establish meaningful ties with our bishops and priests. Our founder was a Catholic priest, Blessed Father Michael J. McGivney, who instilled in us a deep devotion to Christ and his church.
- Being a Knight helps us be better husbands and fathers. When your children see the work that you do to help those in need and the effort you devote to supporting your local Catholic Church, they will be learning a valuable and lasting lesson. Children learn from the example that you set much more than from anything that you say. We've got a special website to provide encouragement in your role as a parent called Fathers for Good.
- Being a Knight gives us an opportunity to help those in need in very special ways. One of the biggest charitable activities for Virginia Knights is our support for people with intellectual disabilities. You can learn more at the KOVAR website we've created to tell that story. Our support for programs for people with intellectual disabilities, including Special Olympics, exceeds half a million dollars a year, and that makes us second only to the state government of Virginia in providing such support.
- Being a Knight means working to build a Culture of Life. Virginia Knights have served as marshalls at the annual March for Life in Washington, D.C. since its inception. Over the last several years, we've partnered with the Supreme Council to purchase two ultrasound machines that are now saving lives at pregnancy resource centers, and we're planning to add several more.
- Being a Knight brings with it the opportunity for friendship and fraternity with a whole new family of like-minded brother Knights who share your faith, your values and your aspirations for living a life that's worthy of a follower of Christ. We work hard to make a difference in our families, parishes and communities.
If that sounds like an organization that you'd find worth exploring, we'd love to have you join us for the experience of a lifetime. To inquire about membership information pertaining to Pope John Paul II Council 4522 please contact Grand Knight Daniel Penrose at (443) 458-8833 or [email protected]
You go also join the order directly here at https://www.kofc.org/secure/en/join/join-the-knights.html Just be sure to include Council 4522 or Queen of Apostles Catholic Church in your information!